Thursday, August 12, 2010


Contrary to popular belief, the business of interior design is not glamorous. I don't know how many times I have told people what I do only to hear them say, " Oh, how glamorous . . . . . an Interior Designer!" That comment is usually followed by "my mother, sister, neighbor, dog and
my cat have taken design courses." They always help me with my interior design. I bet other professions, like an accountant, orthodontist, lawyer, engineer, or scientist, ever get this reaction when asked the same question. Why do women think of the profession of interior design one they can dabble in? Is it because they are women and think interior design should go along with their role as a woman?

I don't think I will ever have the answers to those questions. I only know that the profession of an interior designer is a business, and a tough, multifaceted one at that. I spend most of my days getting filthy dirty. . . . . lifting heavy boxes and furniture, wondering why they forgot to ship the shades with the lamps, pondering if I should sell the pictures as a pair, digging in the trash for harps that were thrown away by mistake, running back and forth between our two warehouses, cleaning the public restrooms, pricing and inventorying all the merchandise, and everything else that goes on behind the scenes.

Don't get me wrong . . . . I love what I do. Most of the time, everything falls into place and everything goes right. But time to time, the career can be frustrating, tiring, and not very glamorous. Whatever is going on, I know it will soon pass and we have to always praise God in all circumstances. He has given me this gift and I will continue to use it to bring Him all the glory. My goal is to always give our customers the best service and product we possibly can. I enjoy every one of our customers and they are a blessing to me. You are what makes First Fruit Collection what it is and what it will be in the future. Thank you all for all the business over the last 11 years. We have big plans for the future. More about that to come. Happy Decorating,

Lisa

0 comments:

Post a Comment