Friday, October 22, 2010

Leave a Legacy

I was sad to learn of the death of Barbara Billingsley this past week.
I loved to watch Leave it to Beaver every weekday afternoon. June
Cleaver was the perfect Mom. She kept a spotless house, cooked
full course meals, and always looked beautiful. I am still amazed
how she managed to do all her chores in those stylish dresses,
high heels and pearls . . . .with every hair in place. I was also sad to hear of the death of Tom Bosley this past week.
I also loved to watch Happy Days on Friday evenings. Howard
Cunningham was a devoted father, a loving husband and earned
the respect of all of Richie’s friends. He was an All-American
Dad ready with wise advise.

I started thinking about their lives and all the good that followed
them to their death. They impacted so many lives through their
television characters and instilled many morals and values in
our lives. They shaped a part of who I am and what I believe
to be good and wholesome. I will miss them both and am grateful
for the wonderful memories of time spent in front of our console
black and white television with the pull on/off button, complete
with 3 national and 2 local channels. Those were the days. No
remote controls, VHS, DVD, Dish, Cable or

I also wondered about the impact of my life on those I came in
contact with . . . my family, friends, employees and all the other
nameless people I meet as I shop, work, worship, exercise, or
live around. What kind of person do they think I am . . . what
message am I sending to them as I keep my busy schedule?
You know . . . that is something I will never know . . . we never
really know what people really think of us . . . you know they
are not ever going to be completely honest.

Therefore, I need to live every day as if it were my last day to
touch the lives of the people I come in contact with. . . considering
what impression my words and actions are saying. I sincerely
desire to be a blessing to all the people that are put into my path
on a daily basis. I realize this is a hard and possibly impossible
task . . . but it is my desire . . . to be more like Jesus every day.

I want to leave a legacy . . . like Barbara and Tom . . . being
remembered for all the good in my life . . . this is my prayer
and my desire. May God give me the ability and the strength
to make this a reality.

Happy Decorating, Lisa

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Well said. There are too few characters or for that matter real people like these two. We should all remember the good old days.

Anonymous said...

How about starting with being fair and open with your customers? Putting the message on your sales tickets about returns is a little late as you wouldn't realize until AFTER you made your purchase that there is only a store credit given on returns. I looked at a fireplace screen at least 3 times and talked with your husband and even had him measure it. He never mentioned that I could take it home a try it before buying it. (said he did, but he didn't as I would have surely taken him up on that opportunity) I purchased it and when I got home was surprised that it didn't work on my fireplace. The measurements were right, but because of the way it was made, it didn't work. Imagine my disappointment when I found out I could only get a store credit when I returned it a week later!! Your husband kindly pointed out that store credit only policy was "on your ticket". You need to post a sign AT THE REGISTER!!! As I said, customers don't see the ticket unless they've already made the purchase! Just a little shady to me. I loved your shop and have purchased several things there, but will never go back!

Vicki wrote: said...

I was in the store when the fireplace screen was returned. Lisa, I think your husband handled the situation very well. To the gentleman that is upset. The store policy on returns is posted at the register. I am a regular in this store and everytime I purchase something, they remind me of the return policy. I am sorry that you are upset, but if you never return to this store, it will be your loss. I hope that you will reconsider and give them another chance.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, you feel that you were not treated fairly You were given the option of approval on the date of purchase and declined, stating that you were positive it would work. Our policy is clearly posted at the register and on your sales ticket. We strive to always do the right thing and we are so sorry you were disappointed in our store policy.

Elisabeth said...

I was also a customer in the store when the customer was complaining about not getting money back. I felt so sorry for his daughter who was obviously embarrassed by his behavior. I have shopped at this store for years and have always received excellent customer service! This man
is obviously hard to satisfy and First Fruit Collection would be better off
without his business anyway, since he is so rude!

Todd said...

I can't believe anyone would complain about service received
at this store. I LOVE this store and all the employees have
always been so helpful and kind. I have shopped here over
10 years and will continue to shop here. It is a shame some
people have to complain and try to ruin the reputation of such
a great store. Shame on you Mr Anonymous! If I were as rude
as you I would not leave my name either!

Anonymous said...

Vicki: When I asked Vince if the return policy was posted, he told me it was on the receipt. I looked for a sign, but didn't see one. When we purchased the firescreen, we would neve have taken it out of the store if we thought we couldn't return it for a credit back on our card.

Vince: Sorry, you NEVER spoke to me about taking it home for approval. If you had, why wouldn't I have done that? I even asked you to measure it for me. Why would I have asked you to do that if I knew I could take it home and try it????? I still have the card you wrote the measurements on! That doesn't make sense does it?
Elizabeth, thanks for the compliment, but that was our grandaughter!! My husband is one of the nicest people you would ever meet. He felt he wasn't being treated fairly and said so. He was NOT rude! And she wasn't embarrassed, it was her first time in the store and she was looking around.
Todd: I love this store too, but we were not told about the store credit only policy. I have purchased many things at this store and did not know the policy as no one has ever told me about it this policy. I would NEVER have purchased an item like this if I thought I would not be given credit back on my account. I loved the screen and looked at it THREE times. Why would I have done that if I could have just taken it home to try?
Again, I stand by my statement that neither I nor my husband were told we could take the screen home to try it. And I wrote the comment not my husband. And I wrote it anonymously because I've only posted once before and didn't know what profile to select. I knew the store would remember.

Betty said...

Mrs. Anonymous, you seem to be a very unhappy person. First Fruit is a happy store and are so nice to everyone. It is sad you have to bash this
fine store because you are unhappy with their store policy. I can't imagine life without First Fruit. I heard a rumor once that they were closing and I was so sad! Thank goodness this was just a rumor. Sorry you are so unhappy but your bitterness will not stop me from
shopping here.

Lisa, Owner of First Fruit Collection said...

Thank you all for all your encouraging comments. I appreciate all of our customers and their loyalty. You are what makes First Fruit Collection
great! I would like to offer Mr. and Mrs. Anonymous a full refund, in cash. Come by the store and we will put an end to this matter. I am sorry you feel that you were treated unfairly . . . this was clearly not our intent.

Post a Comment